Sunday 08 December, 2013 by Uncle Spike
Uncle Spike is getting on a bit. As I look in the mirror, I know this to be fact, but additional supporting evidence lingers all around:
* I now trim my beard to look younger; rather than grow it look older.
* As a farmer, I prefer my old steel work boots (or carpet slippers indoors) to anything resembling 21st century fashion (or even 20th some would say).
* The TV volume setting doesn’t work any more. It won’t go loud enough for some reason.
* Gone are the days of that teenage rebel in leather jeans and studded bracelets. Instead I write blog posts about the attire of my youth.
* Mug of decaf coffee (almost allergic to caffeine) or plain soda water and I’m a happy guy. Kind of a change from a penchant for Laphroaig Single Malt to teetotaller.
* I don’t frequent music stores (we have none), but if there were, guess my 70’s and 80’s tastes would be catered for in the ‘golden oldies’ section.
* Cheek of it. I got called “amca” (meaning Uncle) in the market recently; and not “ağabey” (meaning elder brother). In Turkey that implies one is ‘beyond my generation’… and the guy was perhaps 30-35.
* War movies, still love ’em, but now I get all emotional watching flippin’ X Factor. I’m stuffed when it comes to sad bits in the movies.
* In the summer I get up for work earlier than I used to crash out.
* The number plate of my car gets cleaned as well as the bodywork.
* Speckled grey is the new hair colour of choice.
* Don’t understand why going to town once a month to buy a 50kg sack of barley for the chickens doesn’t count as ‘socialising’ and I still have to be ‘nice’ to stoopid people.
* My kid mentioned me and dinosaurs in the same sentence.
But I shan’t roll over and feed the daisies just yet. Still young at heart; that’s my motto, even if the saying has to be considered ‘relative’ to be accurate. Still feel like a pup, still politely rebellious, still the same weight I was at 20, and still lovin’ life… oh yes, and I still like to chomp kids cereals late at night.
Now, enough of this maudlin over the keyboard Spike, get yer skinny butt out of the office and make some breakfast 😀
HAPPY DAYS SPIKEY’S